[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 18:56:13 CEST 2010

Jürgen Hestermann schrieb:

> Forgive me my naivity (I never used a database yet)

I'm also not a DB power user, but...

> but just as an example: If you want to read a complete directory branch
> (with thousands of files and directories) every 5 minutes in a loop and
> want to store this information together with other information (like
> date/time
> of first appearance) at the end of each loop so that it's available even
> after a reboot, would you use a database for this?
> If yes, how would the tree structure be defined in the database?

Depends ;-)

In your example...

> I just did this using a simple binary file and it was quite easy to do
> and it's speed is amazing. If my data changes, I simply delete the file
> and start from cratch.

... I'd not bother with storing the results at all. Databases become
extremely important when you can *not* simply rebuild your data from
scratch.

> If I see the delays that applictions like Thunderbird
> produce when simply moving an email to another folder (the hard disk
> spins for a minute or so) then I am happy that I never was forced to use
> a database.

That's because TB does *not* use a database, at least not standard DB
that is designed for fast transaction processing. Instead TB holds all
information in one file per folder, so that moving a piece from one
folder to another one means to rewrite two such (huge) datafiles.

You see how important the right use of the right storage model is in
practice?

DoDi