[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Jun 19 00:55:15 CEST 2010

On 6/18/2010 17:41, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On 18 June 2010 22:33, Graeme Geldenhuys<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 18 June 2010 18:56, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>> That's because TB does *not* use a database, at least not standard DB that
>>> is designed for fast transaction processing. Instead TB holds all
>>> information in one file per folder, so that moving a piece from one folder
>>> to another one means to rewrite two such (huge) datafiles.
>>>
>>> You see how important the right use of the right storage model is in
>>> practice?
>>
>> The latest Mozilla Thunderbird uses SQLite databases for just about
>> everything and constantly I see the statusbar saying "re-indexing
>> XXX". As mentioned earlier, even for managing something as trivial as
>> bookmarks. Luckily my Quad Core just powers through all that
>> re-indexing that now occurs, so I don't notice it that much.
>
> The re-indexing is for searching the messages.  I don't know how this
> is implemented, but I know that there were some teething problems with
> this, which are fixed in the upcoming version.  Only the initial
> indexing should take long, but it's essential for us who has come to
> rely on google mail's searching capabilities.

funny that you mention that because i was just thinking about how it was
possible that so many may not be using local apps for their mail... in my case,
i have several dozen email addresses and all of them are serviced by my local
thunderbird... yes, my gmail, my yahoo, my excite, my hotmail, etc, etc, etc are
all pulled (via pop3) from those servers into my thunderbird... i don't worry
about those services loosing my mail any more... if it does get lost, it is my
fault ;)

FWIW: email is another of those things that is supposedly "new technology" that
isn't... it is still all plain text but now it carries "tags" in similar manner
to html and such... even binary files are (still!) encoded into plain ascii text
for traveling thru the mail networks... that's quite funny, in itself because
fidonet, what a huge majority of people used before the internet came along, has
allowed binary attachments to messages "forever"... yes, i do know that UUCP did
the same thing, as well... i used to carry UUCP mail here for my BBS users...
these days, that's all done with SMTP with the associated loss of technological
capabilities (attaching a pure raw binary to a message) ;)