[Lazarus] Docking into main window

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jun 23 14:58:57 CEST 2010

Zitat von Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:

>>> Constraints are not applicable do docksites in a dockable layout.
>>> When the MainBar shall become a docksite, it should have all
>>> predefined components in a panel or other container, which can
>>> have a fixed/constrained size.
>>
>> Have you documented the requirements for easydockmgr somewhere already?
>
> I don't understand what requirements you mean. The arrangment and
> extent of all the forms should be up to the user, so that docksites
> and dockable forms should not impose limits that prevent the user
> from constructing his intended layout.

For example that constrains are not "applicable".

> The EasyDockMaster saved layout includes only actually docked forms,
> the other forms have to be managed by the application. In the IDE
> case we can agree about a common handling for *all* currently open
> forms, in the IDEDockMaster or IDELayout. Then the
> IDELayout/DockMaster manager can store information about *all*
> currently open forms in the layout file, and on a layout restore it
> can delegate their handling to either the application (IDE) or to
> the EasyDockMaster. For this handling we'll have to define the hooks
> in the IDE, for the restoration of the not-docked forms. Currently
> it's unclear to me, how the FormCreators and SimpleLayout etc.
> classes/objects have to be used.

I added some notes here:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Extending_the_IDE#Notes_about_IDEWindowCreators_and_SimpleLayoutStorage

> BTW, I just noticed that on Linux (KDE) the "Show single button in
> TaskBar" option has the strange effect, that on a Minimze of the
> MainBar *only* the MainBar is minimized, all other windows stay
> visible.

Yes, that is a limitation of your window manager. It does not allow to
hide windows without a task bar button. This protects you from loosing
windows. In fact the Lazarus IDE menu 'Window' is a workaround for
those window managers that does not have this protection (MS Windows).

Mattias