[Lazarus] Reconstructing Lazarus Website 1: the appearance

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Mar 4 17:03:53 CET 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I asked this question back in 2007 and asked myself the same question
> today. I read the answers given to me back then, but still doesn't really
> make sense.
>
> What's the actual difference between a PageControl, NoteBook control and a
> TabControl?
>
> Why does Lazarus need three different components that it actual fact does
> the same thing? Why can't all the "extra" utility functions be merged into
> one single Tab type component, and then delete the other two?

Delphi has also 3 components.

1. Pagecontrol is the Win95 version,
2. Notebook is the windows 3.1 component.
3. A tabcontrol is an entirely different beast: it has no pages, just the tabs.

in Lazarus, this last control is simply buggy, it should be fixed. The
second can be deleted, as lazarus never worked on Windows 3.1

Michael.