[Lazarus] PageControl vs NoteBook vs TabControl

Vladimir Zhirov vvzh.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:58:29 CET 2010

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> 1. Pagecontrol is the Win95 version,
> 2. Notebook is the windows 3.1 component.
> 3. A tabcontrol is an entirely different beast: it has no pages, just
> the tabs.
>
> in Lazarus, this last control is simply buggy, it should be fixed. The
> second can be deleted, as lazarus never worked on Windows 3.1

I would vote against the deletion of TNotebook, since it seems to be
the only control that allows creating "multipage" panels with invisible
tabs and switch the visibility of pages at runtime under all widgetsets.

TPageControl had some problems with hiding tabs under GTK-2 so for some
time TNotebook was the only convenient solution.

If these problems are fixed, and TPageControl can fully replace
TNotebook, then these are good news.