[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 7 09:47:50 CET 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 6 March 2010 17:51, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> I appreciate that some bugs are hard to find. But you are wrong if you think
>> that rolling your own widgetset will guarantee you less bugs.
>
> Martin (MSEgui) and myself having first hand experience in this will
> definitely tell you that there are much less bugs (simply because the
> code is simpler),

... and the functionality is less: just one example: Drag and Drop
between explorer and file dialogs does not work in MSEgui, neither the
context menu works, so one can not create folders, rename files etc.
quickly, no W7 favorite folder list (which I really like) etc.

> easier to fix bugs too. And to fix a bug it's in one
> location for all supported platforms (99% of the time).
>
> But it has been discussed a million times before and not to be
> repeated here again. Lazarus wanted to take a different approach, by
> having a native look and feel and using native components where
> possible. I know this.
>
> I just think that LCL took the wrong approach in there implementation.

People want delphi compatibility.

> Forcing Windows-ism on every widgetset the LCL supports - hence
> complicating implementations a lot. Take a look at Qt? No Windows-ism
> in it's design, no Win32 API types in it's design etc., yet it
> succeeds in the native look and feel on all large platforms.

Due to the emulation, it usually still looks strange.