[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 7 19:55:22 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Daithi Haxton wrote:

> Hi!
> I've not posted here before, but I've been reading this list for about six
> months, and I've gotta weigh in on this one.
>
> By way of introduction, I'm the Sr. Software Engineer/Team Lead for a major
> consumer electronics company in the US. We've been using C++ Builder for
> several years as our PC compiler of choice. It's allowed us to develop robust
> applications in very short time spans with very limited resources.

[ snip ]

> In summary, Lazarus is a fantastic product. It's usable TODAY for commercial
> development. We've found it (the IDE) more stable on Windows than it's
> commercial counterparts. RAD Studio will generally lock at least one of our
> development machines once a day

Oh well, for me Delphi is no longer usable as a debugger since years.
So much for commercial products sometimes :/

> - so far we've had only one issue with
> Lazarus, and that was on a Mac (and I reported the bug to Mantis, and it was
> fixed in three days - try that with you-know-who ....). These discussions are
> great, but please don't lose sight of what you've already got - a world class
> compiler and development tool that's being used right now to solve serious
> real world problems.

Which is exactly why I think that the person who started this thread has
tunnel-vision problems. The glass is half-full for me.

Thank you for this supportive comment !

Michael.