[Lazarus] IDE search path for include file causes IDE hang

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Mar 8 00:51:25 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 10:53:19 -0600
Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to know if anyone reported a bug that has to do with include
> files and the helper component that consistently crashes the IDE.  I
> had dealt with this bug for the past few weeks.  It wasn't until I ran
> ./startlazarus from command prompt that showed me that a unit
> referencing an include unit could not be found.

I'm not sure, what you mean with "include unit".
A unit is used (by the uses section), an include file is included (by
the include directive).
I guess, you mean an include file was not found?

> I solved the problem
> by adding the path of the include file to the IDE paths in project
> options/paths but I wonder if a certain user segment is experiencing
> this issue.
>
> This was a trivial error that was easily solved once I knew what the
> problem was.  The fact remains that the IDE should have displayed a
> dialog box telling me the path needed to be added to that path option
> so the IDE can function properly.

ok.
I need some information how to reproduce the problem.
Was there an error message? What was the error message?

I can add a popup menu (quick fix item) for this message.

> I had to deal with this problem for a week and it was always crashing
> my Lazarus.  Man... I kept doing svn updates for FPC and Lazarus and I
> think I'm a bit frustrated at the fact that the problem was so simple
> to solve, and the crash was totally avoidable.  I'm thinking that if
> possible, we should re-think the logic of paths.

Crash?

> It's ok to have a seperate option but for bare minimums, behind the
> scenes, perhaps we could use an aggregate or at least a dialog box
> saying project unit "whatever.pas" includes "include.inc" and cannot
> be located.  Please set a path reference in the IDE path options for
> this project.

And a button to get there.

Mattias