[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:35:03 CET 2010

Zaher Dirkey het geskryf:

> Yes that help me to port many component to Lazarus.
> But it can make spicial unit only for those porting components, and for
> who have more time can replace the function taht call API function to
> call LCL function
>
> API     FillRect(DC: HDC;....
> LCL     FillRect(Canvas: TCanvas;....
> Object   Canvas.FillRect(R:TR...)

Then clearly you guys porting component to Lazarus are lazy. :-)  I have
ported numerous components from Delphi to fpGUI. During the port, I only
use the functions available in fpGUI (no Win API calls). Porting does not
take that long, and fpGUI isn't even as compatible with VCL as LCL is with
VCL. The end result is guaranteed to be 100% cross platform.

This just highlights the point that the Win API cloning was a bad idea. If
you want to make something truly cross platform, you implement it as such,
using to top-level interface of the LCL classes. You don't use the "hack"
idea of the Win API clone unit - that is inherently not cross platform.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/