[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 09:20:30 CET 2010

Florian Klaempfl het geskryf:

> Replace rebase by merge and it works exactly the same with svn: you

As I mentioned, rebase works slightly different to merge. As you rebase
against a newer revision, the patches in that branch cat change slightly
due to change new changes in the newer revision. Rebase is as if you used
the latest revision and quickly implemented a new feature on top of that
latest revision.

> svn style. However I consider not merging a feature branch into trunk
> but into a fixes branch as a rather chaotic development modell: trunk
> should imo contain all working stuff.

Let me explain why. I implement a new feature in a feature branch. I submit
that feature as a set of patches to Mantis. That patch set can sit in
Mantis for months before it gets applied to Trunk. In the mean time I would
like to use that feature, so I simply merge that feature into whatever
branch I am working with daily.

Then if I get feedback in Mantis about my feature, and maybe need to make
new changes, I do that in my feature branch. Merge that feature back into
my daily working branch, and wait for more feedback from newest changes
submitted to Mantis. That feature branch will exist locally until that
feature is actually in Trunk. I can quickly run a 'git diff
<feature_branch>..' command to see if that feature was added to Trunk too.
Keeping it inside it's own branch has other benefits too. I can continue
working on that feature, I can quickly reverse that feature out of my daily
working branch etc..

Also some of our feature branches are not submitted to Mantis, simply
because they are personal hacks or personal preference changes. Things we
know Lazarus developers will not accept.

So as you can see, not chaotic at all, just better management of features
and branches.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/