[Lazarus] Lazarus svn history visualization

Vladimir Zhirov vvzh.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:14:06 CET 2010

Hello all,

I haven't had time to go over all the discussion, but I wish to provide some
of my points about things.

1. Open Source unlike commercial source is constantly under development
until no one is interested in the project anymore.
2. Lazarus in the past two years had become one of the best IDE I have ever
used (I'm using Eclipse, netbeans beside Lazarus as IDE. I used Delphi (up
to 7 included), VS, and few more that I do not remember their name).

3. In my business (I'm a freelancer at the moment) my main tool is Asterisk,
and it has a lot more users then Lazarus,but that does not stop it from
having fatal bugs for long time. further more, it also run to add more
features all of the time, but yet to solve bugs, and it has a lot more
developers with commit rights then Lazarus, that many of them getting paid
for developing the code.

The more developers are not guarantee for bug fixing, but rather just more
bugs :)

4. I think that as an open source projects, both FPC and Lazarus are one of
the best FOSS projects ever build. Let's see you tell Linus that he have a
bug in Linux, and he will tell you that it's a feature and that's if he will
actually be willing to answer you.
Both Lazarus and FPC have developers that are really down to earth and will
answer you to problems without any ego in their answer, and the fact that I
can (and do) stable commercial code as well as open source code with both
tools show how the well the outcome of this tools are coming out.

5. It's not that everything is perfect, and there are no problems, it's just
that the problems in Lazarus are not that bad as you paint them. To remind
some people, Delphi 2-4 was very unstable, and not very usable for big
projects. Only v5 was really stable and good for production, yet it does not
made borland stop developing Delphi (other things did though).

just my 0.0002 cents :)

Ido
http://ik.homelinux.org/