[Lazarus] Refactoring sometimes does not work - known issue or bug?

Aleksa Todorovic alexione at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:57:16 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:57:43AM -0700, Tom Lisjac wrote:

> > I wonder how such wishes can be reconciled with wishes from Tom Lisjac for
> > example to have more stable lazarus, not changing compatibility every
> > release (if that is what actually happens).
>
> I don't remember suggesting that compatibility should never change
> between major releases. What we've been talking about in this thread
> is for stability issues to *start* being considered and to *begin*
> managing changes so version impacts on production developers and
> existing code would be minimized or at least well documented. Borland
> always did this with new version releases, so when they made changes,
> the community understood and was fully prepared for them.

I've no idea what you are talking about. Both projects (FPC and Lazarus)
maintain stable branches, and regularly release from them.

Some examples (like the quite intrusive *.lrs ->*.res change that is coming)
simply can't be avoided.

Likewise, probably heavy pain in the encoding/unicode department can't be
entirely avoided (both because Codegear those to break compatibility there,
secondly because the current solution is manual)

> The "stability issue" occurs when arbitrary changes are tossed in
> randomly and without regard for their impact existing code

Examples please.