[Lazarus] Newcomers with Debian based systems

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 15:38:32 CET 2010

Gustavo Enrique Jimenez schrieb:

> It is like the "can't write to serial port" thread month ago. If you
> are a developer, you MUST understand your system. The "next, next,
> next, finish" only works for windows.

It also should work for other systems. Some time ago I could install
Lazarus from RPM's on openSuse, so why not on Ubuntu from DEB packages?
(I'll come back to the RPM problems later, when I have another working
Suse system)

> Try to learn about your Ubuntu package system, then try to install a
> complex DEVELOPER tool.

A complex tool does not necessarily mean a complicated installation,
based on rudimentary documentation.

> I am not a contributor, I am not a beta tester, I am not a translator,
> I am not a GNU/Linux expert. I just do electronics with serial port
> data aquisition, and Free Pascal/Lazarus is a great tool for quick
> apps development. I use Debian (since Potato): never a problem
> installing Lazarus (since 0.7.x). You must read and learn how your
> system works. GNU/Linux, BSD, etc. are not trivial systems. You MUST
> understand what are you doing.

Somebody else asked me whether Ubuntu was a usable system for developers
at all, since the supported software (e.g. boost library) seems to be
pretty old. I ran into more problems, coming from openSUSE and trying to
install e.g. VMWare and Lazarus, and Ubuntu in a VM. The encountered
problems suggest to me that Ubuntu is dedicated to end users, who do not
deserve anything but the officially supported software (the click-click
install you mentioned).

But actually I try to separate the Ubuntu issues from the Lazarus
issues. I hope to solve my Ubuntu-specific problems in the chat, while
the Lazarus issues should be fixed in the Lazarus packages, wiki and
source code.

DoDi