[Lazarus] New version of WebDesign available

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Mar 17 15:45:03 CET 2010

On 03/17/2010 03:33 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> That still does not explain why you think it is necessary to create
> a new widget type instead of just implementing a more general event
> loop ?
>
> Lazarus can be used perfectly for applications that do not have a
> widget set or do not use the LCL.

I need to do a kind of tool box that allows my colleagues who do
"embedded" Delphi programs, to create versions of same that - instead of
a PC - run on a "headless" Linux enabled ARM-PCB (without any support
for user interface). The necessary code changes should be as minimal as
possible and the final source code needs to be compilable as well with
Delphi - to create exactly the application that they already have - and
with Lazarus - to create an application for the ARM PCB.

And these colleagues do use stuff like "TTimer", "procedure ...
message", "postmessage", TThread.Synchronize, serial interfaces, TCP/IP, ...

The Lazarus team did a great work providing a decently Delphi-compatible
LCL implementation to use Linux/GTK. And thus concentrating the solution
for the additional differences (avoiding the GTK binding) in a new
Widget Type seems the best way to go.

-Michael