[Lazarus] unit Dialogs and showmessage

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Wed Mar 31 21:06:06 CEST 2010

> Source position: dialogs.pp line 510
>
> procedure ShowMessage(
>   const aMsg: String
> );
>
> there is also an example program:
>
> Program LazMessage;
>  Uses Dialogs;
>  begin
>    ShowMessage ('This is a message from Lazarus')
>  end.
>
> This does not compile: project1.lpr(4,16) Error: Identifier not found
> "ShowMessage"
>
> Also i cannot find the definition of this procedure anywhere in the
> unit dialogs and also this file is called dialogs.pas and not
> dialogs.pp on my system. How would i tell the use clause that i would
> like to use dialogs.pp instead of dialogs.pas?

The source file suffix is not relevant here.
I think you try to call an LCL function from a command line program.
It doesn't have LCL listed as a required package.
You should use ShowMessage only in graphical GUI applications. In command line
program you can use writeln instead.

Regards,
Juha Manninen