[Lazarus] Stand-alone (external) Form Designer?

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri May 7 19:04:47 CEST 2010

Zitat von Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> 2010/5/7 Michael Van Canneyt :
>>
>> Mattias' explanation is what I meant with 'there is more than the editor to
>> lazarus'.
>
> Yes I understood that. My point about "not being feasible" is that the
> forms designer is way to integrated into the rest of the IDE, that
> it's not simply a job of moving some units into  new project and
> compile as a stand-alone app (process simplified for this message).
> Meaning the IDE is not that modular.
>
> This is ok, I was just curious if it would be possible - with
> relatively little effort, which it clearly is not.

The designer drawing, mouse selection and aligning code is in a single
unit designer/controlselection.pp. The code is one of the oldest units
in lazarus and need some clean up. It contains several optimizations
that are no longer needed.
Copy/Paste is almost as complicate as load, so you need big parts of the IDE.

>> The IDE is a pretty awesome piece of work, of a complexity which few people
>> realize, let alone grasp.
>
> Just like 'fpdoc'.  :-)

Mattias