[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed May 12 13:02:10 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since Lazarus switched to using GTK2 by default under Linux, the GTK1
> support and stability has been free falling. Maybe it's time to simply
> remove GTK1 support because it definitely is NOT a stable platform any
> more - unlike the "Configure Build Lazarus" dialog suggests, saying
> GTK1 is stable (like Win32) and GTK2 is beta.
>
> This bug report suggests the same thing. GTK1 cannot even be compiled
> any more. :-/
>
>   http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=16414

I'm still tending to use v1 because I've found Lazarus (and a number of
other apps) to be extremely slow on v2 when run to a remote X server.
This was specifically an X problem which didn't show up on VNC, I think
it's now been fixed since when I checked a couple of days ago
performance appeared to be adequate on the limited number of systems I
tested.

Might I suggest that just as some widget sets are marked as "pre alpha"
it might be appropriate to mark gtk v1 as "post omega" and move it to
the bottom of the list rather than junking it completely? That way it
could degrade gracefully but would still be visible to anybody who
wanted it, and the onus would be on him to report or fix any removed or
unimplemented functionality.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk