[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Jonathan winelauncher.jonathan at googlemail.com
Sat May 15 20:00:30 CEST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:05:34 +0200
KrisztiƔn Nagy <nkrisztian89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant "support" as: Lazarus supporting that distro, only based on gtk+
> version shipped with the specific release.
Yes I had worked that out but it's a bit pointless supporting a version of a Linux distribution that the maker of that Linux distribution no longer supports.

> Ubuntu 5.04 comes with gtk+ 2.6.4 thus is supported by lazarus which
> requires gtk+ 2.6 (not counting any other possible limitations), while
> Ubuntu 4.10 only has gtk+ 2.4.9.
> This has nothing to do with the official support of the release.
> That's what I meant, sorry if it was not clear.
Does anyone use a Linux distribution that is no longer supported by it's maker?
If so why?

Here is a list based on GTK version and if it's still supported by it's maker.

Debian
 stable 5.0 (lenny) 2.12.11
 testing (squeeze) 2.20.1
 unstable (sid) 2.20.1
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEtch

Ubuntu
 8.04 LTS (hardy) 2.12.9
 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) 2.16.1
 9.10 (Karmic Koala) 2.18.3
 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 2.20.0
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Fedora
 11 (Leonidas) 2.16.1
 12 (Constantine) 2.18.3
 will be 13 (rawhide) 2.21.0
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases

openSUSE
 11.0   2.12.9
 11.1   2.14.4
 11.2   2.18.1
 factory 2.20.0
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Linux_Lifetime

Mandriva
 2008.1   2.12.9
 2009.1   2.16.1
 2010   2.18.3
http://www2.mandriva.com/support/lifecycle/

Gentoo
 stable 2.18.6
 unstable 2.18.9
Gentoo has a rolling update. (Release version is meaningless)

Redhat Enterprise
 3.9   2.2.4
 4.8   2.4.13
 5.5   2.10.4