[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue May 18 17:12:03 CEST 2010

Myles Wakeham wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Did you take a look at doing Silverlight applications using Delphi Prism
>> ? IMHO this is the most promising "modern" way to do complex web
>> applications.
>>
>> I don't know if/how you can run them on a Linux server (using Mono).
>> (Linux client (Moonlight) should be supported.
>
> I don't think the problem is with the back-end server, but the front-end
> 'smart clients' that are coming out that don't support it.  iPads, for
> example, along with iPhones, etc. won't support this on the browser and
> they are starting to become a significant obstacle with client
> development.  If I was to embark on a new web project today, I'd
> definitely only want to do the client work in Javascript and HTML5 and
> avoid any proprietary offering like Flash & Silverlight on the client.

Exactly.  I'm working on a small framework myself and had all but finished the
Flex front end when all the hoopla with Apple and Adobe came to a head.  The
customer did not want flash based GUI and I agreed.  Fortunately, the UI layer
was loosely coupled so I'm writing a new layer based on dojo and refactoring
some existing stuff while I'm at it.

In particular, this application requires supporting mobile interfaces and the
costs and effort of having a separate Android/Win7/iPhone version of these
interfaces was not practical when HTML5 is already available with mature
JavaScript UI toolkits and the one thing that these devices seem to have in
common is the browser.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee