[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Dariusz Mazur darekm at emadar.com
Tue May 18 23:18:00 CEST 2010

W dniu 2010-05-18 18:10, Bee Jay pisze:
>> There is a sense that web development work feels like writing mainframe apps in the early 1980s.  Its slower, more cumbersome and you have to feel like there must be a better way to do this.  The ability to craft a PC application quickly due to great IDEs, WYSIWYG tools, etc. has enabled development to be done quickly for the desktop environment.  I guess we're all just waiting for the day when web development can be done as fast.  I feel we are still a long way off, but it does mean that whoever can achieve this will ultimately dominate the web development space.  I look back to what it took to write the same application in 1985 in, say, Turbo Pascal, vs. embracing something like Delphi/Laz/FPC today, and its night&  day.  But despite advances in software engineering practices such as object oriented, design frameworks, etc. writing web apps today is still more like a TP app development project in 1985 than a Delphi desktop windows app in 2010.
>>
> EXACTLY! That's why I hate web app development in the first place. After more than 10 years being spoiled by Delphi and then Lazarus, writing web app today is like back to those TP days. Morfik had been trying to solve this very issue, but I don't think it's ready for the prime time yet. Somehow I feel that Morfik's solution is still incomplete. There's must be something missing, though I don't know for sure what it is.

I can say quite different. I like web development. From back side of
program working with web and desktop is equal, thats doesn't matter. But
front makes me happy: When I need new widget for special purpose, I
must: write new descent class (several lines in pascal), 2-4 line of
html (several divs),  then add several lines to CSS and add some png
and thats all. I dont need fight with any pixels, rendering, etc, all
this work has done in browser, debugging can be done online (with firebug)

--
   Darek