[Lazarus] FPC 2.4.2 and Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:39:24 CEST 2010

On 19 May 2010 17:48, Martin wrote:
> As it stands currently, I am not 100% convinced, that not quite some of them
> may only be reported *after* the next release (Since not every user uses
> trunk).

This is exactly the point I was trying to get across. I for one do not
use Trunk as much as I did in the past. Simply because I am losing a
lot of productivity in my day-to-day work fighting with bugs that did
not exist before. Similar issue apply to FPC trunk.

I report 90% of what I find, but I fear other see me then as a nagging
person always finding fault. This is unfortunate. Maybe it's just
because I use Lazarus IDE in a commercial environment, and not as a
hobby (like most developers here - I think). When I do use Trunk I
don't expect everything to work, but I also don't expect so many
regression bugs. Instead I would expect new features to have bugs, not
old/existing features.

> release. Some form of pre-release, but I think no one (who doesn't use trunk
> anyway) will test it unless it can easy and safely be tested without

The solution is simple. Create at least three rc (Release Candidate)
releases. This will greatly improve the stability of a final release
without the need for many point releases. Everybody in the software
world knows that rc release can contain some bugs and will probably be
fixed before the final release. But then I guess the argument starts,
that releases take to long to create. In the world of software
development that could, and should be streamlined, and never be an
excuse.

  - Graeme -