[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Razvan Adrian Bogdan lightningflash at gmail.com
Thu May 20 18:23:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> > What is wrong about web programming in Delphi/FPC ?
> Nothing, I've done so in 2 of my 3 fulltime jobs.
>
> The point was that when doing it, if you have problems competing with PHP,
> then I suggest you need to change your angle.

The problem is not competing with it, the lack of Delphi developers forces
company owners to find other employees, as PHP sounds trendy, to them it
doesn't matter if you can do things better if they can't replace you easily,
most of my colleagues are Delphi programmers but when it comes to web stuff
none of them would do anything web related and if they must do it they would
probably chose PHP, i was fortunate enough to be able to write a major app
in Delphi and initially compiled with FPC too but then they forced the
project to use MSSQL and we were stuck on windows.

> Examples:
>
> in the first job I did a webfrontend (using indyhttpserver +SSL)
> multi dimensionally analysing realtime data.
>
> in the second job, for a vendor of webbased auction systems, it was
> paramount that never outdated data was shown, so caching of any critical
> data was not allowed unless you could guarantee it was up to date. (used
> component and scripting/templating system: webhub, www.href.com)

Well our project was a web interface with the same functionality as the
self-serving kiosks from a well known fast-food company.
The project was a real success but at the moment political decisions reduced
the level of allowed implementation but allowed us to deploy more kiosks (go
figure). Because i was the only Delphi developer who would use it for a
serious web project, minor parts had to be done by another colleague in PHP.
Since then all web projects (smaller reporting type) were made in PHP
because there was nobody available to do them in Delphi.

>IMHO PHP can't compete with Delphi (or e.g. C#/ASP.NET) on the website
>either. It is the bottom segment only.

Yes PHP is not a strong language and doesn't have a strong toolkit but there
are so many PHP developers and many 3'rd party tookits for it and some of
them can be used with any language. Most company owners only care about
getting things done, i was lucky and nobody ever forced me to do anything
serious in PHP, i did work with JS, Flash and SwishMax all three are almost
the same thing and much nicer than PHP but i wouldn't use any of these for
anything serious unless i was forced to.

Razvan