[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri May 21 14:15:16 CEST 2010

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Debian Lenny is still at 2.10 afaik.

Is there a portable way that an app can query the widget set version for
an "About" box or error report? I'm routinely displaying FPC and Lazarus
versions as determined at compilation but knowing what's been found at
runtime would be useful.

> And don't forget: FPC still uses only i386 instructions in the default
> setup while using Pentium4+ stuff would allow often much better code.
> All modern CPUs support it for years ;)

I raised a bit of interest elsewhere by comparing Delphi and FPC code
generation. Delphi is still stuck on i386 and doesn't know about SSE
etc., so it's arguable whether FPC by default needs to do better.

Looking at Debian "Lenny" as an example, I think it's worth noting that
the kernel and libc appear to be -i686 but everything else is -i386.
Obviously there might be Pentium-aware optimisation in the binaries but
I'm not sure that can be checked by inspection.

I think I'd vote for i686 AKA P-II, but with minimal capabilities check
during installation. Again, I think this suggests that an easily-found
compatibility matrix would be a great help.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk