[Lazarus] Regex and Syntax Highlighting

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue May 25 20:23:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:14:01PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> syntax definition files to get the Object Pascal syntax correct for
> Free Pascal specific features I use and for my code. So this is
> clearly not so much of a problem and regex is sufficiently flexible
> for most (if not all) languages.

I just pointed a theoretical deficit of regex. It is up to you to do
something with it before you commit yourself to this or not. So again to be
clear:

Standard regex can't deal with nested structures like nesting of comments.

Maybe your regex library has some substitute or workaround to disambiguate
common cases or not. I don't know much about what the variants can do.

I just recommend to look into it before you spend too much time on this.

Since you already identified several editors with support for it, a quick
test to see if it can fully parse such construct should give more comfort.