[Lazarus] Regex and Syntax Highlighting

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 26 10:43:56 CEST 2010

2010/5/25 Zaher Dirkey :
> I beleave regex is not a good choice.
> If you compare the speed you will find SynEdit is more faster.

Again, I think this is more related to implementation details. Some
editors do it great, some others don't. Some of the editors I looked
at that uses regular expressions for syntax highlighting, managed to
open 10MB source code files (like the old macosall.pp unit) and syntax
highlighting was instant (even when you scroll to the end of the
file).

So it is definitely *not* a hard and fast rule that if an editor uses
regular expressions for syntax highlighting, that it is immediately
slower than others.

  - Graeme -