[Lazarus] clarification / Re: constant-highlight ? [Re: quick opinion poll / pascal highlighting "case"]

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed May 26 14:18:15 CEST 2010

Duncan Parsons schrieb:

> Their chosen style for if/elseif/else was:
> if x then begin
>   code
> end else if y then begin
>   code
> end else begin
>   code
> end;

This is my preferred style as well, with the least line count.

> Which I found to be as helpful as a ice teapot, as scanning down you see one if with three ends and no context for what was happening in between..

It's equivalent to a case statement, where only one of multiple branches
is taken at any time.

It also is compatible with languages that deserve no additional
begin-end brackets (Modula...). I'm still waiting for an fpc front-end
for that simplified syntax, which needs no further discussion about the
placement of the added begins and ends, increases readability by their
omission, reduces code size and speeds up compilation once more.

We'll never come to an agreement about *the* best representation, unless
evitable begin-end pairs have been removed from the syntax.

The only other solution were a formatter that allows to flip between all
the styles, and means to convert to some fixed (SVN) repository style
before an commit or patch creation.

DoDi