[Lazarus] Using FPC parser/tokenizer for code formatting

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Sat May 29 09:57:41 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-29 06:42, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:
>> Using the parser/scanner from the compiler is an impossible task,
>> they are impossible to separate.
> There's nothing impossible in software ;-)
>
> It's a matter of refactoring, and whether the refactored code will be
> accepted by the FPC team. First expected rejection argument: it slows
> down compilation...
>
> A weak argument so far, perhaps we can make the parser even faster?
I am no expert on either the parser/tokenizer or the compiler, so I am
in no position to guesstimate what might happen in that area.

What I do have --as a gut feeling-- is that, even if the compilation did
slow down a bit, the benefits from modularized/componentized back-end is
very much likely to compensate for it in the agregate.

By 'agregate', I mean the whole process of development (or, 'experience'
if you'd rather).

After all, we spend more than a fraction of time compiling a project
compared to the time spent on writing and modifying it.

And, it is this 'development' process that I am expecting the biggest
payoff from.

I am sure we all can see the benefits.

Trouble is, I cannot do it.

All I can do is to put a bounty on it to help it materialize; but
without a go ahead from the compiler team, there's no point.