[Lazarus] fpweb for delphi?

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Sun May 30 02:30:19 CEST 2010

Waldo Kitty wrote:
>On 5/28/2010 05:03, Bee Jay wrote:
>> On 27 Mei 2010, at 18:56, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think we will do this. It will require too many changes.
>>
>> Yes, I've seen the code. fpWeb has a very tight dependency to other fcl packages. Poor Delphi people. ;)
>
> serve's'em right... what's that old saying? ya get what ya pay for? i think
> getting a whole lot more for free is much better... wonder what it costs to get
> the full sources to delphi? :lol: :P

where everybody gets the idea that Delphi does not provide web frameworks, I don't get. Websnap, other frameworks, standard Apache mod projecttypes (templates) for 1.3, 2.0 and 2.2, CGI...

and that was just in D7 already!

God (and Delphi 2010 buyers) know(s) what they have in there nowadays!

On the other hand, why anybody would want to develop new webapps (on new db's) in delphi or fpc for that matter seems a bit like a one-tool-in-my-toolbox mindset. "If all you have/know is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

There are other languages far more suited for webdevelopment! PHP, Perl, Ruby(-on-rails), java, silverlight.net, ...
Especially when the client(s)/user(s) use small webhosting. While you may find that they offer php AND CGI, you may not find out the (processor)architecture or flavor of linux so that you even CAN compile your CGI, let alone run it safely on the hosting provider's machine(s). You only sometimes have (a somewhat limited) shell access to their machine anyway. And as for a "product", you need to use the greatest common denominator anyway. So that pretty much leaves you with php anyway ;-)

And there IS a Delphi4PHP out there (from Embarcadero/CodeGears/Borland/Inprise/...). It is a graphical designer like Delphi (the IDE, not the object pascal language) that allows you to make RAD like a php application with a frontend in javascript, based on the Qooxdoo open source framework. In fact, they have reïmplemented a large part of the VCL in javascript so that you can transfer your skills in Delphi VCL (the objectpascal framework) to there without knowing much javascript.

ps: sorry for the response to multiple mails over the last couple of days
ps2: and since i read digests, this mail will occur out-of-thread, sorry for that too :-(

Dimitri Smits