[Lazarus] easy cross-platform compiling??

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sun May 30 18:16:09 CEST 2010

On 5/30/2010 00:04, Bee Jay wrote:
> On 30 Mei 2010, at 07:30, Dimitri Smits wrote:
>> On the other hand, why anybody would want to develop new webapps (on new db's) in delphi or fpc for that matter seems a bit like a one-tool-in-my-toolbox mindset. "If all you have/know is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
>
> I don't think so. If I need to migrate desktop apps -many of them with thousands if not millions LOC- into web apps, why should I rewrite them in a another language from scratch? So I need to retest the whole thing over again from the beginning? While I could simply change the desktop form into web page and keep the app logic untouched, well... at least most of them. Even if I need to write to a new fresh web app, why should I learn new language and framework while I could write it in pascal (more effective and efficient thus more productive) using existing and my well-tested pascal frameworks and skills? Learning a new syntax is easy but finding its tidbits does need times.

this is especially important when it comes to things like properly filtering
user input, too... in many (most? all?) cases, this has already been done and
properly handled in a binary app... in fact, properly handling user input been
one of the biggest problems with many apps, period... surely no one really names
their child '); DROP TABLE Master; ;)

>> There are other languages far more suited for webdevelopment! PHP, Perl, Ruby(-on-rails), java, silverlight.net, ...
>
> Why are they more suited? Because most of them are scripting and managed/VM with poor performance? Why do you think pascal isn't suited for web app development?

i don't know of any reason why it isn't suited... it isn't any different,
really, than those other languages... it has surely been vetted a lot more and
over a longer time than they ;)

>> Especially when the client(s)/user(s) use small webhosting. While you may find that they offer php AND CGI, you may not find out the (processor)architecture or flavor of linux so that you even CAN compile your CGI, let alone run it safely on the hosting provider's machine(s).
>
> It's not hard to ask the provider about those informations, or even maybe they're already mentioned somewhere in the docs.

not to mention how easy it is to go to another provider or even just host it
yourself ;) :P