[Lazarus] Question about SVN version stability

theo xpde at theo.ch
Sun May 30 18:28:59 CEST 2010

On 5/30/2010 05:53, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Again, here is some of my other formatting style I use in my code.
>
> 1) Aligning the identifier in a class, irrespective if it is a
> function, procedure, constructor etc.
>     See untitled1.png.
> 2) Align the assignment characters so it forms a visual block.
>     See untitled2.png
> 3) Not something I do often, but see it often in other developers
> code. Align the types
>     in a var declaration. See untitled3.png
> 4) If parameter lists are long or many, and align them to easier see
> the different ones and
>     what types they are. See untitled4.png

hey! have you been reading my code? :P i've been known to do all of those
depending on my mood :lol:

i wanted to toss one more thing into the fray... i use spaces because they are
always the same size no matter what editor or viewer i use... i truly hate when
i have to paste something that's tab spaced and the tabs end up "broken"... an
example is pasting code/text into web forums wrapped with their "code tags" to
preserve the formatting... the tabs become spaces in the browser and the
alignment is thrown off... it doesn't matter if it is a table, chart or simply
source code...

another example is what i commonly see when i edit (in this case) perl files...
on the one *nix that i do a lot of perl coding (it is the entire GUI), i
generally use the editor in mc because it is there and i'm familiar with it...
however, when i'm logged in via ssh, being able to do a copy or paste to/from
the workstation's local clipboard to/from the ssh session is neigh impossible in
that editor (at least, i haven't figured out how if it is possible)... so i
follow the KISS principle and do it like this...

     1. save the current file
     2. exit the editor
     3. fire up vi
     4. do the copy or paste
     5. save and exit
     6. return to the preferred editor

even looking at the same text between those two editors hilites the differences
with tabs... so i use spaces... they are universal and everything is aligned
exactly as desired no matter what editor or viewer is used...

i still can't get my thumb to hit the tab key, either... it is much too
connected to the space bar... it also has this perfect double twitch that spaces
things over just perfectly ;)