[Lazarus] T*Edit align and anchors

Andrea Mauri andrea.mauri.75 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 15:35:00 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-31 15:42, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Adem wrote:
>> True. In order to avoid this sort of thing all together, the best
>> solution would be making the compiler use a parse tree.
> Florian already explained at the start of the discussion that this is
> not feasable because of speed and memory penalties.

I am not a compiler author, so I do not wish to be arguing with experts;
but, it's not as if we have both alternatives to measure and chose the
best on the aggregate.

I can see that it is expected to be slower and will need more memory;
but, we don't know is how much slower and how much more memory it will
need. And, whether these will be noticeable/bearable considering what we
gey out of it.
>> But, failing that, adding/altering the needed code in the parser
>> still looks like a lot easier (less effort) than doing it with a
>> completely separate parser.
> Strange, I had come to the opposite conclusion based on all the
> replies you got.
 From the replies I got, all I can conclude is that it will (would) be a
very hard task to do. That does not necessarily mean that --once it gets
done-- adding changes or new stuff will also be that hard to that
particular code path.

--
Cheers,

Adem