[Lazarus] [fpc-devel] Re: gdb driving me nuts => it's starting a 2nd thread for no apparent reason....

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Nov 9 14:06:25 CET 2010

On 09/11/2010 12:54, Martin wrote:

> it's the signal issue....
>
> I know how to fix, only matter of time

Actually it probably was the same issue i had..
and probably is fixed now.

The signal is because the IDE tried to interrupt the process, so it
could get the line info (blue dots) for the open unit.
But at that time the app already stopped at a breakpoint (only the IDE
hadn't yet noticed).
So the signal is handled later, when you step over.

There still is a bug, that step-over does exec-continue in such a case.
But it will no longer matter (since I moved the line-info to be called
while already paused)

There always is (and probably will be) a possibility of this happening,
if the user interupts the app, just at the same time it hits a breakpoint.

There also is the issue, that certain actions (set/del breakpoint /
switching to unit, that requires line info blue-dots) must interrupt the
debugger. and if it does, there is no way to continue an exec-next (step
over) since the app can be anywher in some nested subroutine call....
(need to investigate gdb async interface, but it's not yet on all platforms)

Martin