[Lazarus] When do I need a component rather than a plain object?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 16:25:26 CET 2010

Does TObject have all the capabilities of TComponent apart from things like
streaming and being used from the IDE component palette?

I want to create an object which has all the capabilities like getting and
setting properties, and I want to know whether I need to inherit from
TObject or from something further down the hierarchy.

Another aspect is ownership. Does ownership require objects to be derived
from TComponent?

Is a TPersistent adequate if manipulating the object from the IDE isn't
needed?

Last but not the least, is the FreePascal TObject/TComponent system more or
less the same as Delphi's, or are there some major differences?

--
Frank Church