[Lazarus] Custom draw menu

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 22:58:54 CET 2010

On 5 November 2010 20:14, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> Why do you think VCL has no custom drawing? Did you study their code or just
> think so? If the last then try the first.

1) Because VCL claims to be a wrapper around Windows _native_
components. Apparently a claim LCL also tries to make, yet more and
more custom control are appearing in LCL. Make one wonder if LCL
shouldn't re-evaluate their original design goals.

2) I don't look at copyright code period. I do not want to taint
myself, because I am a component and framework developer as well. Make
me wonder, why are you looking and studying copyright code, and how
tainted is LCL code by now?

Anyway so if LCL's Main Menu component is custom drawn, that would
explain why I saw what I did, and as described in my latest LCL bug
report regarding the Main Menu bar not appearing native under Win2000
(as reported by me) and WinXP (as reported Vincent).

This still doesn't answer my question as to why you think the native
menu bar component under Windows can't draw glyphs, and then why LCL
needs a custom drawn component for it. But hey, I'm not the person
developing the LCL that claims to use native components on all
platforms - I'm just a mere developer making some observations from
the side lines.

  - Graeme -