[Lazarus] Custom draw menu

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 10:07:00 CET 2010

On 7 November 2010 04:56, Sergei Gorelkin <sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru> wrote:
> Which bug reports? I fail to find something related in Lazarus bugtracker,
> although I may be using wrong keywords.

That raises yet another problem. Nothing can be found in Mantis
because the searching is absolutely useless - the worst I have seen in
any application ever. I can't even find my own open bug reports from
months or years ago. That must say something of how bad Mantis is.
Even Mozilla's bug tracker (doesn't look pretty by default), but works
a damn lot better.

The bug report in question is listed below.  And in the comments
Vincent also raised the bug on XP.

  http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17752

Yes, Paul already fixed it, but that is not the point here. The
question was why it was custom drawn in the first place, when I
thought LCL strives to only be a wrapper framework for native
controls.

> I remember some UI design guide from M$, telling not to put images in
> menubars.
> Maybe everyone is just following that guide :-)

Images in menus (menu bar, popups etc) are pretty pointless anyway,
because there is clear text plaining each item already. Images are
meant for toolbars as far as I'm concerned. Why, because toolbars
normal doesn't contain text to describe what each item is.

  - Graeme -