[Lazarus] When do I need a component rather than a plain object?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:08:36 CET 2010

Op 2010-11-16 16:18, Sven Barth het geskryf:

> And where is that image array identifier defined? (I believe that's the
> point that Matthias wants to know)

Ah ok, that is for the developer to decide. Inside the same unit the image
is needed (eg: implementation section const), or my preference, inside a
"resource" style unit (eg: myappimages.pas).

As I mentioned, images are simply byte arrays that looks as follows:

Const
  tadmin_export16 : Array[0..823] of byte = (
      66, 77, 56,  3,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0, 54,  0,  0,  0, 40,  0,  0,
       0, 16,  0,  0,  0, 16,  0,  0,  0,  1,  0, 24,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,
      .... );

I'm currently working on improvements in the fpGUI Designer so location,
conversions, image property editors etc of images all happens inside the
Designer. The developer can already set image alias for various components,
but image conversion (to a byte array) is still done via a small utility
application. This should all be improved on in the next few days.

Bottom line is that even if a "forms designer" generates source code,
images or other resources can still be used.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/