[Lazarus] When do I need a component rather than a plain object?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Nov 17 10:16:44 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:56:33 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 2010-11-17 01:22, Juha Manninen het geskryf:
> > If I understand right it is caused by different widgetsets and themes and
> > whatever. There is no change in the actual layout (all controls are anchored)
> > but it adds noise to the commit history.
>
> That is a problem indeed (even for non-Lazarus developers, but simply
> somebody that wants to send in a patch). I never bothered to research why
> it happens though.

The Stored function of the Left/Top/Width/Height can be optimized
to write less unneeded values. But some code might depend on the values
at loading end and needs to be fixed. So this is an incompatible
change. I'm not sure how to handle this.

> Also, what happens if I used 112 dpi (as my X11 server automatically
> detected on my work PC) on my desktop, and you use 96dpi hard-coded under
> Windows (as it does by default)? My laptop again has 135dpi because it's a
> very high resolution screen.
>
> I presume that is what causes all Lazarus IDE dialogs to looks as follows?
> Lots and lots of clipping, incorrect positioning of components etc.. See
> attached image.

That is probably the TButtonPanel bug. The problem is that I can
not reproduce it here.

Mattias