[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

ik idokan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:44:11 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:26, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

> On 11/24/2010 08:32 AM, ik wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> Well I know about the framework fur Javascript library in Lazarus, but I'm
>> thinking in the past year or so, what will it take to design a gui
>> application using Lazarus, and make it work like a web app that act the same
>> as the desktop version, without any specific components for it.
>>

> A decent way to do this would be creating an appropriate "Widget Type"
> Interface (See "How to tell lazarus the location of a used package" in this
> forum).
>
> I did some research on that some months ago. I found that this supposedly
> best would be done using "ExtJS".

There are few problems with ExtJS. First it's not open source if you wish to
use it in commercial apps (dual license is complicated).
Second, it does not support Bi-Directional. A college of mine wrote a
support for it, but the company are unwilling to include it in their
versions.

> "ExtPascal" is a way to try ExtJS with Lazarus and shows how to generate
> "dual-mode" controls that can be used in the IDE at design time and in a
> client-server way at runtime.

Third, ExtPascal is very limited, it supports only specific components and
the last time I tried it (don't remember how long ago), it did not worked
for me in 64 bit (don't know if it support it now).

I do not want to reinvent the wheel, but I'm looking for something that in
one IFDEF or class inheritance can change my app from "desktop" app to web
app, it's not simple or easy task to do though, and if you wish to do it on
client side, it's even harder ...

> To make up for a decent Widget Type, "Comet" technology would be needed to
> be used for allowing for having server generated events introduce visual
> changes at the client site.
>
> Of course TTimer and an Inter Thread event Queue would be needed to be
> implemented within the new Widget Type (for Linux use similar as in the
> FPGUI Widget Type or as in MSEGUI).
>
> -Michael

Ido