[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

ik idokan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 12:08:14 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:46, <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, ik wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:26, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  On 11/24/2010 08:32 AM, ik wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hello List,

>>> A decent way to do this would be creating an appropriate "Widget Type"
>>> Interface (See "How to tell lazarus the location of a used package" in
>>> this
>>> forum).
>>>
>>> I did some research on that some months ago. I found that this supposedly
>>> best would be done using "ExtJS".
>>>

>> There are few problems with ExtJS. First it's not open source if you wish
>> use it in commercial apps (dual license is complicated).
>>

> What is the problem with buying a license if you make a commercial product
> ?

There are a lot of issues with it. Let's take MySQL for example, If you
connect to it in a commercial app, then you require to buy a commercial
license, but if you release the connection code it's GPL, however if you are
using Connector/J or ConnectorC, you do not have to, and so does with PHP.
Now If I use the FPC connection code (it's open source and available for
all), do I require to release my code that works with MySQL or not ? I
really do not know the answer here...

Now if I build a web app for my clients and they have the source code, do I
require to buy a commercial license of ExtJS ?
If I use some sort of "binding" for the code of ExtJS, that is my own API
for the their code and release it in OpenSource, does a commercial web app
that uses it, should buy a commercial license ?

It's not that simple as it sounds, and hence, it complicate everything,
there are many scenarios that are not that simple to understand what you
should do (in open source, and in commercial, so when it's dual license,
it's even harder).

>  Second, it does not support Bi-Directional. A college of mine wrote a
>> support for it, but the company are unwilling to include it in their
>> versions.
>>

> The remarks you make are correct, but I know of no better toolkit.
>

> Michael.
>
> --

Ido