[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

ABorka fpc-devel at aborka.com
Thu Nov 25 21:19:03 CET 2010

On 11/25/2010 02:21, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 10:29 AM, ik wrote:
>>
>> http://www.sencha.com/products/license.php
>>
> I don't see how the Open source (GPL) license should affect the Pascal
> code of an application that uses ExtJS (the pascal code same is
> obviously not "based on / derivative work of" the GPLed Java script
> code.) and the Java script code effectively used by the application is
> obviously distributed as source code. And the application is not a
> "development library" or "Tool Kit".
>
> If a future Lazarus (which supposedly could be considered a "toolkit")
> would contain an "ExtJS Widget Type" it would need to be distributed
> without any part of ExtJS itself, and thus the Application developer
> would need to fetch ExtJS from their Website himself.
>
> -Michael

Exactly.
IMO the FreePascal CGI/FCGI/Apache_module is not affected by the ExtJS
License.

If you, yourself, make changes to ExtJS and modify/extend it for your
project, then that is a different matter. In that case you need to
publish your ExtJS modifications (not your FreePascal
CGI/FCGI/Apache_module).
However, in my experience this is very very rare, because most
modifications needed (custom classes, object modifications, etc.) in
ExtJS are already done by someone somewhere and are published. All you
need to do is download and use them in your JavaScript code. I always
found the needed ExtJS extensions online, never needed to develop them
myself (A custom GridView for example, a double click sorting
functionality on the GridView header fields, etc.).

Your end user/client can do the same (download and extract ExtJS and the
needed extensions) during the installation process, so you are not
distributing ExtJS with your application (modified or not).

Of course, a "Powered by ExtJS" link on the bottom of your web pages is
a nice-to-have.

AB