[Lazarus] filesystem timing Linux vs Win

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:22:03 CET 2010

On 27.11.2010 18:16, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

>> Calling the system to ask for the last-modification time that often
>> (even with all/most data cached by the OS) would take that long on
>> Windows, while under Linux it wouldn't even take a single second...
>
> But how does it come that there can be such a difference doing nearly
> the same things on Linux and Windows? I can't believe that Windows is
> *such* a bad design. They all cook with water I think.

It would be interesting to see a comparison on the same filesystem. E.g.
fat32 or ext2 (using ext2ifs). NTFS is a bad example because it is
implemented on Linux using a user file system driver (fuse), which might
influence the performance test.

@Martin: How does the IDE ask for the last modification time (on Linux
and on Windows)? I can then crawl through the source code (for Windows
using ReactOS) to see what both OSes are basically doing.

Regards,
Sven