[Lazarus] What is a TSQLTransaction and why do I need one?

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Nov 30 11:54:43 CET 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 17:57 +0100, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

>>> Problem is that I haven't found a good model for this. Martin's solution
>>> could be an idea, though.
>>>
>>> It could help if someone could sketch the typical wanted behavior from
>>> the transactions.
>>
>> I sent an idea for an implementation in a reply to Alexsander Rosa.
>> basically:
>>
>> TConnectionOption = (coAutoTransaction)
>> TConnectionOptions = set of TConnectionOption;
>>
>> Property TSQLConnection.options = TConnectionOptions;
>>
>> Procedure TSQLConnection.CreateDefaultTransaction;
>>
>> If coAutoTransaction is set, and TSQLQuery does not have a TSQLTransaction
>> assigned, it creates one through TSQLConnection.CreateDefaultTransaction.
>> (It should be of type TSQLAutoTransaction, a simple descendent of
>> TSQLtransaction, so detection of 'default transaction' is simple)
>>
>> Whenever a TSQLQuery statement is executed and the transaction of TSQLTransaction is
>> of type TSQLAutoTransaction, then it automatically commits (more flags can be introduced
>> for this).
>
> This doesn't change Alexsander problem, because there's still the same
> transaction. Only difference is that he doesn't have to place it on the
> form.

I thought that exactly this was his problem ? Namely, that he is forced to
use a transaction component.

> Besides that, I think that disabling the explicit transaction for
> Postgres can be done much easier.

Maybe, but that would be a postgres-only solution, which I don't think is good.
I heavily oppose such a solution: SQLDB should behave the same on all databases.

My proposal would work on all platforms, and alleviates Alexsander's problem.

Michael.