[Lazarus] Build scripts for Freepascal and Lazarus compilation from source

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 01:45:39 CEST 2010

On 4 October 2010 14:11, Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Kjow <antispammoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/10/4 Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net>:
> >> I think is good and I have interest... but you saw this link?
> >>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Compiling.2Finstalling_FPC_and_Lazarus_from_Sources_of_SVN_.28Win32.29
> >>
> >> This tutorial uses BAT files and it works too.
> >> When I maded this tutorial, I wanted to do more simple I could.
> >>
> >> When I did this tutorial, I wanted to do it in the simplest way
> >> possible. So I didn't put the commands for SVN and also did it in
> >> pieces (to make it easier to understand).
> >>
> >> Maybe you could post your method on the wiki so that we could evaluate
> >> the pros and cons ... What do you think?
> >
> > Seeing the link, many things are very similar (obviously); however I'm
> > making a new wiki page where I will put my method (win+linux -> 1+2
> > scripts).
>
> Well, I am not an expert in BAT files and this was my first
> contribuition to FreePascal  ;-) but if you have a script with
> interaction, is much better.
> I would like to see your script.
>
> > My goal is to have a minimal interaction with the end-users (like I
> > am), but if they want they can open, read/understand and personalize.
> > So, at first I'm publishing only the scripts, and hereafter I will do
> > a binary-multiplatform program that will make the same things, but
> > more professionally :p
>
> If the installer will use the sources of SVN, then I have much
> interest in this project!

One thing to note about svn is it is the bleeding edge. Compiling from svn
may fail. How does the new user know which revision they are using? If some
bugs creep into the packages and the new user has to recompile where will
the knowledge of what revisions are okay come from?

Compiling directly from svn without knowing which revisions are safe may
only cause more confusion as errors will be hard to track down. Unless the
Lazarus community keeps track of stable builds, and getting the installer to
download only those, this approach will only cause problems for new users.

You only have to read the forums and mailing list to see how a lot of users
are afraid to upgrade from source because the methods described in the wikis
and faqs overwrite their existing installations.

I designed the script is with that issue in mind. The user can symlink to a
'safe' build if it proves 'stable' long enough for their purposes.

> Marcos Douglas
>
> --

Frank Church