[Lazarus] Converting Fortran to FPC?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 07:58:35 CEST 2010

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 02:19:34 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>waldo kitty wrote:
>
>> FWIW: there is probably a FORTRAN compiler for *nix... whether or not it
>> can take your existing FORTRAN code and compile it to a library for *nix
>> is another question... and, as noted above, there may not be any real
>> need to keep those routines in FORTRAN... it may be pretty easy to
>> convert them to PASCAL (or any other of today's languages)... it really
>> depends on the code and, in the case of math functions, the precision
>> needed...
>
>Yes, I believe there's a GNU FORTRAN but other than eyeballing it to see
>what sort of parallelisation facilities it provides I've not touched
>FORTRAN for around 30 years.

The author is an academcian and he used Fortran for number crunching
(there is tomography involved) because he was not comfortable with
pascal and there were code examples available from universities he
could use. So he got us to buy the Intel compiler to make the DLL:s.
Then he left after a few years and noone else understands the code.

I started out in the 60:s with Algol at university, then used
assembler in the 70:s, then pascal and C in the 80:s anmd finally
object pascal from about 1995 util now (have used all Delphi versions
until 7 and then BDS2006).
Can't get my head around the fortran code....

The dll:s are each about 16-20 files varying between 70 to 400 lines
of fortran source code.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden