[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 13 13:51:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 13 October 2010 12:57, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>>
>> But in fact they really don't work in complex cases as indexed string
>> expression evaluation.
>
> Huh?  Are you saying that rather simple code example is actually "complex"?

It is a complex structure for the debugger. It puts together at least 3 concepts.

Remember that the gdb debugger is extremely C oriented.

GDB is used by lack of something better, and by lack of someone willing to
spend full-time work on maintaining a cross-platform debugger.

Comparing it to the Borland debugger which is in it's roots 25 years old,
continuously maintained by a team that works on the Pascal language, and
so is commercially backed up, is comparing apples with pears.

I think everyone would rather have a native FPC debugger, but as with all
things: who is going to do the work ?

I dare say that work on fpGUI also doesn't advance as fast as you would
like to. Why is this so ? Answer: Lack of manpower.

Taking into account the small community, FPC/Lazarus do an extremely good job.

Michael.