[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:15:23 CEST 2010

Op 2010-10-13 14:43, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:

> Why do you say "it sucks" ?

Simply for a lack of a stronger word. I was holding back on my frustrations.

> It works, kind of. It depends on your expectations.

My expectations are rather low at the moment. Just show me the f**ken value
of the variable!

"works, kind of" is so over exaggerated! I DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. My
"tooltips debugging" was just a simple example... and not to mention that
it at least showed more information that the damn Watches debug window! See
the attached screenshot. The "Watches" window is even more useless than the
tooltips debugging, so I opted for the best one out of the broken bunch.

So now I'm really confused at the what to believe in the Lazarus IDE?
Tooltips that show values, but the wrong values, or the Watches debug
window that shows nothing.  And yes, both watches are Enabled.

So how did I come across this lovely debugging screwup...? I was trying to
write a string parser, so debugging actual character values are a rather
big deal in a string parser. But unfortunately Lazarus was NO help at all.

And this is what you get from a 10 year old compiler and an 8 year old IDE?
Wow!

> I successfully debug applications.

Please do share how you accomplish that feat. I think everybody here would
love to learn from your experience. [this is a genuine request]

> they scratch it. You have a different itch from the other developers.

I think every developer wants to debug their software. Nobody write
bug-free software!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/