[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 13:52:19 CEST 2010

On Sunday 17 October 2010 01:54:00 Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> I also work on a 64 but system. You're sure you used fpc 2.5.1? And that
> you disabled smart-linking?
>
> I used attached program to test gdb. (place breakpoint at second
> position and do a 'p s[2]')

Form command line it works as advertized!

arrays.pas, built with -gw, breaking gdb at line 82:
 (gdb) print s
 $1 = 0x646240 'test'
 (gdb) print s[1]
 $2 = 101 'e'

The same built with -gw3:
 (gdb) print s
 $1 = 0x646240 'test'
 (gdb) print s[1]
 $2 = 101 't'

Great. So it means gdb's DWARF3 support was buggy and now it is fixed in
Fedora package and later in others I guess.

Elements of arrays show correctly but the values for whole arrays (DynArrInt,
DynArrStr, DynArrChar) still don't, although it is different from -gw.
Whole static array (StatArrStr) actually shows better with -gw debug info.

I also created a Lazarus project from arrays.pas program, and set -gw3 to
Project Options -> Other -> Custom Options.
Works well!

The problem comes when I create a Lazarus GUI application and set -gw3 there.
From linker:
 /usr/bin/ld: warning: link.res contains output sections; did you forget -T?
 /home/juha/SW/LazTest/xxx/lib/x86_64-linux/unit1.o: In function `.La1':
 unit1.pas:(.debug_info+0x94): undefined reference to `DBG_FORMS_TForm'
 unit1.pas:(.debug_info+0xa5): undefined reference to `DBG_STDCTRLS_TButton'

With -gw it works.
I also tried to compile the whole Lazarus and LCL with -gw3 and got similar
errors.

Juha