[Lazarus] Verdict of Lazarus 0.9.29

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Oct 20 14:40:03 CEST 2010

  On 20/10/2010 10:39, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've played with the latest snapshot of Lazarus and FPC (as release by
> Vincent) for the last 3 days now.
>
> I started with a new profile (via --pcp= parameter). Off the bat, one
> *major* annoyance of Lazarus IDE now is that I seem to spend more time
> trying to figure out how to disable all the damn "I'm trying to be clever"
> features of the editor! It seems the Lazarus IDE has gone totally overboard
> with the default settings!
>
> I have ticked/unticked a 101 settings already, and still the damn editor
> tries to be clever by indenting what it thinks is good coding style, adds
> semi-colons where I don't want them etc.. F**ken frustrating!
>
> How or where do I disable all these *annoying features* of the editor. I
> just want syntax highlighting.

Well, yes there is a bit of a hichup => the IDE has 2 auto indents...

Editor=> general:
   the old auto indent. indents exactly as much as the previous line was
indented

the new one:
   Codetools -> general
   overrides the above, if switched on, and does the "mind of it's own"
auto indent

yeah, I know: who is expecting it to be in the codetool section,
especially if another auto-indent is n another page?
(there is a link , you can link, on the editor page, but that's no
excuse...)

---

And you probably also want to go to:
Editor => "automatic features"
and look at "add close statement for pascal blocks"

that's all the "end" that get inserted....

And yes that page "automatic features"  is another place, where no one
ever would expect anything.... (half of it is display related, and
should be on a page nested into display) => for the rest: a good name is
needed.... (maybe the hints can even get there own page...)