[Lazarus] Global dialog "file filters" feature + patch in mantis

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:00:39 CEST 2010

Op 2010-10-21 14:38, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:

> Name = 'AllPascalFiles'
> DisplayName = 'All pascal files'
> Mask = '*.sql'
>
> User edits DisplayName and Mask. 'Name' can be used to track changes.

OK, so lets say the above is implemented... now lets walk through a use
case. Remember I said, I DO plan features, I don't just code them off the
top of my head.

1) First time in IDE since 'File Filter" patch was applied. File Filters
   grid is populated with default display name (from translation resource
   strings) and default file masks.

2) I modify the display name and file masks of existing filters, and I
   add my own filters.

...[ time goes by and one of the default filters had there file mask
     changed ]...

3) First time I enter the IDE since new default filter file mask. What
   should happen?
   - Lazarus overwrites my customized file mask for that filter? I'd be
     pissed off about this.
   - Lazarus prompts me to to do something?
      * I'd be pissed off about pointless prompt.
      * Prompts for what?
      * I don't like software that prompts me for every damn change, so
        no I want to know where do I disable such prompts?
   - Lazarus just ignores the new default filter file mask, and keeps
     using what I specified (I opt for this, which is essentially what
     I have already implemented)

4) I add more file filter masks. eg: XML files (*.xml)

...[ time goes by and one of the default filters had there display name
     changed ]...

5) First time I enter the IDE since new default filter display name
   change. What should happen?  Essentially the same as (3).

...[ time goes by and a new default filters had been added.
     eg: FPDoc Description Files (*.xml) ]...

6) First time I enter the IDE since new default file filter was added.
   What should happen?
   - Essentially the same as (3).
   - Automatically add new default filter. But hey, now the mask clashes
     with my own 'XML Files' filter.
   - What about my preferred order of filters. I don't what that to change
     either, so where should IDE add new file filter.

My observations:
  * You guys now made the whole feature a damn site more complicated than
    it needs to be.
  * I don't want the IDE prompting me, I hate such software. So now we
    need a global setting for prompts. More complicated again, plus what
    should the default setting be, yada, yada, yada...
  * Say it was decided we can keep the file filters in a separate XML
    file. Yippee! I share that file between my various profiles, which also
    happens to be different versions of Lazarus. One version containing
    different defaut file filters to the other. Must one version of
    Lazarus now update my file filters XML file or not, should it prompt
    me or not? Beats me!?!

All this, a classic case of "over engineering". I just want customized file
filters, with whatever names and masks I specified, and in whatever order I
want. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Also please tell me how many of you keep changing your language of the IDE?
Because I seriously doubt 99% of the developers here keep changing IDE
languages after the first install (once they have setup their IDE
preferences). In the 5 years I used Lazarus IDE at work, I changed the
default language a whopping 0 (ZERO) times.

I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing! This brings me back
to the old point of why do you thing the lazarus project struggles to get
contributors? It's always a damn uphill battle for the smallest of things.

This is a trivial and simple feature, but now you expect me to spend hours
on it, and then it actually ends up being less flexible than at the start.

I'll continue using it locally where it works, please be so kind as to mark
the Mantis report as "won't fix".

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/