[Lazarus] Dual installation of FPC

patspiper patspiper at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 23 10:22:28 CEST 2010

On 10/23/2010 11:05 AM, Thierry B. wrote:
> Le 22/10/2010 21:27, patspiper a écrit :
>
>> On 10/22/2010 09:39 PM, Thierry B. wrote:
>>
>>> The best is to put all you fpcs under a root directory. Then in you
>>> ~/.fpc.cfg, just use $FPCVERSION so that it matches all versions. For
>>> example :
>>>
>>>     # searchpath for units and other system dependent things
>>>
>>> -Fu/home/thierrybo/Sys/local/opt/fpc/$FPCVERSION/lib/fpc/$FPCVERSION/units/$FPCTARGET
>>>

>>> -Fu/home/thierrybo/Sys/local/opt/fpc/$FPCVERSION/lib/fpc/$FPCVERSION/units/$FPCTARGET/*
>>>

>>> -Fu/home/thierrybo/Sys/local/opt/fpc/$FPCVERSION/lib/fpc/$FPCVERSION/units/$FPCTARGET/rtl
>>>

>>> Thierry B.
>>>

>> That would require using FPC/Lazarus with root privileges...not recommended
>>
> Uhm, I should have not used "a root directory" but "a base directory in
> you home folder" instead. No need to run Lazarus as root.

And I did not check out the directories you mentioned thoroughly, as
they indeed are in /home. So what you are saying is correct. However if
you install FPC official release through Debian packages, you're pretty
much stuck with an FPC installation in the root folder (which needs root
privileges to be rebuilt).